Catarina Frazão Santos, Postdoctoral Researcher
Catarina is currently a Postdoctoral Researcher at MARE – Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre, University of Lisbon (Portugal). She has a degree in Marine Biology (2006), a MSc in Ecology and Environmental Management (2008) and a PhD in Marine Sciences (2016), all by FCUL. After concluding her MSc, Catarina integrated a research team responsible for the environmental assessment and monitoring programs of several national projects and plans. Between 2012-2016 she carried her doctoral research on Marine Spatial Planning in Portugal, in a collaboration between MARE-FCUL and the Duke University Marine Laboratory (USA), which was funded by FCT, the Luso-American Development Foundation (FLAD) and the Institute of Marine Research (IMAR). Catarina received two awards from the "Luiz Saldanha/Ken Tenore" Programme, which granted her the opportunity to be a trainee at internationally renowned institutions, namely NOAA's Coastal Services Center (Charleston, USA) in 2011, and NOAA's Office of Response & Restoration, Emergency Response Division da NOAA (Seattle, USA) in 2007. She is an invited reviewer for international scientific journals (e.g. Marine Policy, Ecological Indicators, Ecosphere) and leading author of several scientific articles and reports, some of them published in top rank journals (e.g. Nature Geoscience). In 2015, she was invited to support the European Commission Research Executive Agency on the evaluation of proposals submitted to the programme H2020, Societal Challenge 2 (Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine and maritime and inland water research and the bioeconomy). Since then, she already participated in four evaluation calls, playing roles of Vice-Chairperson, Evaluator and Rapporteur.
Interests and Expertise: Marine Spatial Planning, Sustainable Ocean Management, Ocean Policy, Climate Change, Risk Assessment and Management
2016. Ph.D. in Marine Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon , Portugal
2008. MSc in Ecology and Environmental Management, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal
2006. Degree in Marine Biology (Licenciatura), Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Awards and Grants
2016. Postdoctoral Research Grant (Ref. BI under project PTDC/AAG-GLO/1926/2014). Fciências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências.
2014. Early Career Scientist Grant (Ref. 674). Award from the 2nd International Ocean Research Conference.
2012. Doctoral Grant (Ref. SFRH/BD/77057/2011). FCT – Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology.
2011. Luiz Saldanha/Ken Tenore Marine Policy and Strategies Grant (Ref. Bolsa IMAR/FLAD 05/11). Award from FLAD – Luso-American Development Foundation, and IMAR – Portuguese Institute of Marine Research.
2010. Best Poster Communication. Award from the International Conference on Coastal Conservation and Management’10.
2008. Research Grant (Ref. Protocolo IMAR/Torralta 04 - C.F.). IMAR – Portuguese Institute of Marine Research.
2007. Luiz Saldanha/Ken Tenore Marine Biology Grant (Ref. Bolsa IMAR/FLAD 02/07). Award from FLAD – Luso-American Development Foundation, and IMAR – Portuguese Institute of Marine Research.
2016. Frazão Santos C. Marine spatial planning in Portugal: an ocean policy analysis. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Dissertation, University of Lisbon, Portugal. 271p.
2008. Frazão Santos C. Development of an environmental sensitivity assessment model for the Portuguese coast in the scope of oil spill events [in Portuguese]. Master of Science Dissertation, University of Lisbon, Portugal. 77p.
INTERNATIONAL PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
9. Frazão Santos C, Agardy T, Andrade F, Barange M, Crowder LB, Ehler CN, Orbach M & Rosa R. 2016. Ocean planning in a changing climate. Nature Geoscience 9: 730. doi:10.1038/ngeo2821.
8. Frazão Santos C, Orbach M, Calado H & Andrade F. 2015. Challenges in implementing sustainable marine spatial planning: The new Portuguese legal framework case. Marine Policy 61: 196-206. doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2015.08.010
7. Frazão Santos C, Domingos T, Ferreira MF, Orbach M & Andrade F. 2014. How sustainable is sustainable marine spatial planning? Part I–Linking the concepts. Marine Policy 49: 59-65. doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2014.04.004
6. Frazão Santos C, Domingos T, Ferreira MF, Orbach M & Andrade F. 2014. How sustainable is sustainable marine spatial planning? Part II–The Portuguese experience. Marine Policy 49: 48-58. doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2014.04.005
5. Frazão Santos C, Michel J, Neves M, Janeiro J, Andrade F & Orbach M. 2013. Marine spatial planning and oil spill risk analysis: finding common grounds. Marine Pollution Bulletin 74: 73-81. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.07.029
4. Frazão Santos C, Carvalho R & Andrade F. 2013. Quantitative assessment of the differential coastal vulnerability associated to oil spills. Journal of Coastal Conservation 17 (1): 25-36. doi:10.1007/s11852-012-0215-2
3. Silveira TM, Frazão Santos C & Andrade F. 2013. Beneficial use of dredged sand for beach nourishment and coastal landform enhancement – the case study of Tróia, Portugal. Journal of Coastal Conservation 17 (4): 825-832. doi:10.1007/s11852-013-0283-y
2. Frazão Santos C, Teixeira ZG, Janeiro J, Gonçalves RS, Bjorkland R & Orbach M. 2012. The European Marine Strategy: Contribution and challenges from a Portuguese perspective. Marine Policy 36 (5): 963-968. doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2012.02.011
1. Frazão Santos C & Andrade F. 2009. Environmental sensitivity of the Portuguese coast in the scope of oil spill events - comparing different assessment approaches. Journal of Coastal Research SI56: 885-889. ISSN:0749-0258